Pleased to see you on my blog. Cheers.......

I personally feel that everyone in this world store and nurture an internal treasure of knowledge and experiences, that forms the base for his character, behavior and personality. This rare treasure is generally not shared as this makes him vulnerable, But here is mine.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

7 Habits of highly effective people

One of my well-wishers gifted this book, about seven years back. This was one of the most boring books, I have ever read. This book was written by Mr. Stephen covey in his sixties, targeting the audience belonging to 30s & 40s. Many examples cited in this book are about family and children, exactly converse to my life style then - a hardcore bachelor. At every page, I had to spend atleast 15 to 20 minutes to understand and analyze what's written and how's that related to my life. All the seven habits, this book is speaking about, is given in the contents page itself, that too in plain English. Then, why should I read this book from page to page. They don’t even sound great. I thought most of the habits listed in the contents were already with me. And rest of them I can practice anytime. Actually I haven't read the book till recently.

Oh!!, I had greatly misunderstood about this book.

This book does have the seven great secrets, (hidden in that esoteric literature). These are sure-shot means to success. I'm not speaking about hard work, honesty, patience etc here; - these are much simpler than those. Few time tested tactics. Honestly speaking, I felt a feeling similar to that of reaching the 15th floor by lift, while everybody else is walking up through the stairs. But merely reading a list of these secrets or getting it known from somebody is not going to help. You got to understand, analyze, and inculcate those secrets in your lifestyle, which eventually let you reap the fruits.

Ok, if that is so, everybody who have succeeded in life, must have had those habits?? Actually, I don’t know.

But I know, - “Whoever had these habits, had definitely succeeded in life.”


Best of luck (to read the book, hope u don’t take so many years).

4 comments:

Rima Kaur said...

i like the confidence with which you said that you have most of the habits in yourself already.

as far as reading such books are concerned, i will be the last person to do so. i am completely put off by self-help/motivational books. fiction suits me so much better. in fact its the only genre i read!

oh and the saying "dont judge a book by its cover" is something that i agree with 100%. what lies hidden in the innumerable pages of a book is much much more than the few words written at the back.

Razigan said...

Yeah, practically we tend to put off all the books that does not have masala, a story, fun, and a climax.

The ones like our subject books. (Mind you, this one is exactly like your subject book.)

However, putting that little bit of extra effort to read and practise these kind of self help books (not all, may be the best sellers) does give fruits in multiples.

Rima Kaur said...

i have a fair share of books that have no masala, are dark and "non-fun". i enjoy them as much as i would enjoy any other book of my choice.

i also have a fair share of books that i read forcibly (most of them are my degree books). some non-degree books that i forced myself to read were -

- a mighty heart
- anna karenina
- pigs have wings
- pocketful of rye
- couple of books by danielle steel (i dont like mushy, romantic books)
etc

Ever Hopeful said...

thanks for visiting my site